Liquid Scintillator Based, Fast Neutron Detector for Fresh Fuel
- Fits the profile of the fuel assemblies for PWR and WWER1000 reactors.
- Detector assembly and DAQ system with modular digital electronics, embedded PC and data processing software included
- 12 cells of EJ-309 liquid scintillator arranged on three detection panels biased by individual HV channels and read out by individual flash ADC
- Collects neutron coincidences from induced nuclear reactions at much higher rate compared to presently available systems detecting thermal neutrons
- Statistical uncertainty on the 235U enrichment in 17×17 PWR lower than 1% with 15 min acquisition time
- Measure weakly effected by burnable poisons rods
- Easy set-up of the instrument in-field with minimal cabling and connection complexity
- Collect, transfer and store raw data including waveforms, cell number/address and time stamps
The VeryFuel is an Non Destructive Assay (NDA) tool for verification of modern fresh fuel assemblies. TheVeryFuel has the capability to measure the 235U content per unit of length with unprecedented speed and much lower systematic uncertainty in presence of burnable poisons. The detectors and data analysis was developed by the IAEA and Member States Support Programs.
The VeryFuel utilises low-hazard liquid scintillation detectors and an integrated data acquisition system to measure coincident fast neutrons from induced nuclear fissions.
The standard geometric configuration fits the profile of the fuel assemblies for PWR and WWER1000 reactors.
CAEN SyS provided the VeryFuel to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) as the Fast Neutron Collar (FNCL) and its user requirements have been defined in the safeguards operational divisions.
The reduced coincidence gate and low accidental neutron coincidences allow the operator to employ high activity neutron source for active interrogation. Subsequently, measurement times for the same level of precision can be greatly reduced.
The VeryFuel comprises a detector assembly and a DAQ system with modular digital electronics, embedded PC and data processing software.
The detectors and data analysis was developed by the IAEA and Member States Support Programs.
The software allows the user to configure the data acquisition through an intuitive graphical user interface and shows the result of the real time data processing.
Liquid Scintillator Based, Fast Neutron Detector for Fresh FuelProduct page
|Name||File extension||File size||Revision||Last update|
|AR7633 - VeryFuel, a Liquid Scintillator-Based Fast Neutron Counter for Fresh Nuclear Fuel Measurements||2.14 MB||0||May 29th, 2020|
|WSD7750DXA12||SD7750D - VeryFuel 12ch FNCL Data Acquisition System RoHS|